Thursday, February 05, 2015

2-Ring Circus

OK, ok. I inadvertently lied to you. I said that the "next post" would be the publishing of that mystery pattern...but hey, our entire family got sick (yet again), and I haven't finished the last bits of photography and pattern writing. I am 98% done. I have felt too sick and sluggish to take photogenic snaps of myself with the afghan in the manner that it deserves. However, I will announce the winner of the pattern give away!

Drum-roll please......
FAELA STAR, you are right...it is the "Rippled Reading Afghan" that I started in 2007! The yarn has the multi-colored colorway of reds, greens, yellows, blues, etc. (I can see how it looks like the Honeycomb Jacket, but that has purple and orange and pink in it.) If you have a Ravelry account, shoot me a PM (I'm "Knittyknitter") and I will gift you the pattern as soon as I publish it. Yay.

Life has been a circus of illnesses and cranky toddler twins. Why not make the little hands match the little circus mouths? Yes, that was heavily filtered.

I actually learned two new skills for this project: how to make the purl stitch cast-on for my 1x1 ribbing, and also how to cast on for two mittens on the magic loop. I happened to use this video, although it lead me to knit inside-out (which actually turns out well for this project, so I can have all the fluffy roving stick out on the outside so I can tighten them).

This has been a fun knit so far, and I look forward to seeing the rainbow of colors emerging as I go. The set-up and first couple of rounds are the worst, and then after that, it's fun to knit magic loop for two items. They come of perfect AND completed. For a gal with secondobjectitis, that's gold. I have to make two pairs, or three if you include mine, so I'll take as many two-at-a-times as I can get.

 Pattern: Thrummed Mittens by Joan Janes
Yarn: Cascade 220 in Heathered Fog Hatt
Needles: Size US5
Roving: red, orange, yellow, green and blue
 (the masculine range of the rainbow)
Size: Child
Aw, they are kind of cute...like Bozo the Clown. Or eek, kind of like "It" too. :) I'd prefer the first.

Their hands will be warm and snug, wrap around woolies and fluffy clouds. That's love.

No comments: