Sunday, September 21, 2008

Godzilla's designer

Photobucket

I recently had an urge to create clogs. I've heard of Fiber Trend's Felted Clogs for quite some time, yet I think it was the pride of designing my own things that got in the way of my just going ahead and buying it (like a normal person). And $10 later, I became normal. Well, more normal, if you'd have it.

Photobucket

There is something gratifying about knitting around the bend of this sole. Its a little different than knitting on circular needles, or just knitting in the round. With every row, you can see the actual thing forming. It's not just rows in the round (a tube). It has life.

Photobucket

I actually started the first clog Friday night, and was knitting the second clog by Saturday morning. I decided that Saturday morning declares good eats, so I made some blueberry muffins, fruit and poured myself a cup of Folger's carmel coffee.

Photobucket

A photo of the clogs happily bathing in the sun pre-double-sole contruction. If you have the pattern, you know what I mean. They look so peaceful. While they were enjoying their bliss, I was happy enough knowing that the colors blend well, and they turned out the same size.

Photobucket

This is what happens when you don't check your gauge! Ha ha, no. I'm Godzilla's designer. He's got large feet. Even monsters needs nice warm clogs in their life too.

Photobucket

Fiber: Wool Barn's 100% double-pied wool in 500 yds teal and 500 yds grey
Needles: size 15 US circular needles (29'')
Contruction picks: wide foot & "bumper" sole.
Modifications: I did knit the extra row on the sole because I have a wide feet (I won't do it again next time though. I guess my feet aren't that wide). I also used size 15's instead of 13's because my yarn was a little thick, and I also saw a knitter who choose that size and her clog turned out great. I might choose another yarn for this pattern next time, too.

Photobucket

It was insane putting these on prior to felting. I mean, even Micheal Jordan couldn't walk straight in these. I'm guessing these are size 15 men's shoes. Yeah, it was about time to throw these babies in the hot-tube after the photo above.

Photobucket

Well, I lied. I had to take one last shot of them lying flat post-double-sole. I acutally knit like 2 extra soles because I ran out of the second main color for this clog, and pulled an emergency double-sole fiber choice: light tan tweedy yarn. It was either using up the rest of the blue wool (which I'd rather save for another clog), or skip the double-sole. Hmm, whatever should I have done? *snickers.* It actually does look nice on the felted clog though. Floors are dirty, and now you won't notice the difference between tweed and dirt. Ha.

Photobucket

Post-felting. The clog is still a size 9 US womens, and I am a size 7.5 or 8. It looks like they'll be taking another nice bath tonight. But it's worth it. It does fit, and I can walk in it, but I'd prefer it to hug my feet a little more. It just gives me peace of mind.
I give many props to Bev, the designer of the pattern. The construction of the clog is pure genius, and I look forward to making more of these babies. There were a lot of increases (and decreases) in this pattern, not to mention the obvious short-row shaping, and she deserved every cent she got from me with this pattern. I can't wait until my clogs drop in size so I can strut around in them this week.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW awesome job on them! I think they look much more 'human size' after the soak, and they definitely look comfy :) Awesome knits

Joe

Unknown said...

Cute! I have one finished before the double sole. I got stuck and put them down at that point.
Let us know how they do shrink down after this next bath. I'm curious ;)