Monday, October 20, 2014

New Knitting Toy: a Wonder Knitter

This is a Wonder Knitter. It is a fancy I-cord maker that is relative to loom knitting. I've had this toy for several months now, but this is my first time using it.

I've had intentions of making different objects out of an I-cord, primarily a type of necklace or two, but I have to admit that there's also a wee-bit of interest in seeing if this device is any faster than making an I-cord the old fashioned way (two dpns).

You can find a YouTube tutorial on how to cast-on this loom (it's a little confusing the first round), but the rest is the same technique. I've been experimenting with turning the dial using my left hand thumb while "knitting" simultaneously to make things fun faster.
This is the dial with the three pins. The set comes with two dials (3 pins and 6 pins). I do not care for the dial with three pins for the sport yarn weight that I chose. The dial with 6 pins have pins spaced a smidgen closer, so maybe that will be a better choice if you choose to go light on yarn weight.

I have a infinity necklace/scarf project in mind for this Wonder Knitter with another type of yarn that I've been saving for a rainy day, although unfortunately while looking for a tutorial on how to cast-on for this loom I found that the necklace idea is not unique. :(  I'll try to jazz it up differently. Stay tuned.

No comments: