Saturday, October 11, 2014

Itty Bitty Monster Hat

I have a friend who just gave birth to her second son. In the spirit of the Halloween season, I wanted to make her baby a wee monster hat.

(I think it came out a little kookier than I anticipated.)
It started off conservative. I improvised a basic hat shape that began with a crochet edge method for a nice clean look. I planned from the beginning that I wanted monster eyes. So I learned (or re-learned) how to crochet in a circle. I decided to do double crochet.
Then, honestly, things got a little carried away. First there was the crazy and whimsical i-cord mouth, then the silly teeth, and then a ball full of hair on top.
It's mighty silly. I wonder if it's a little over-the-top for a newborn to sport.  Even around Halloween? It might be a little more toddler-oriented. What do you think? Should I make another and dial it back?



No comments: