Monday, August 24, 2020

FO: Rainbow Socks

Buon Giorno! Good Day!

As I began writing this next installment of "make-up posts," my kids finished their first day of e-learning at a new school district, and the quiet that once enveloped the house earlier could no longer be found, as they instantaneously became a bucket of energy. Yikes.

Anyhow...how are you? What have you been up to? Staying sane? Staying healthy?

I am continuing my journey of learning Italian. I started after the new year, then took a break around when we moved in the spring, then started learning more, then took a short break, and now it's about fall...it's time to get serious again! (I actually like being "the student.")

So, what's off the needle (as of a year ago?--eek): Rainbow Socks!

They are so pretty and cheerful. I specifically knit these during the warm months only. That means that I took two summers to knit each of the sock mates, and that was ok with me as I had other socks that I worked on too.

Materials & Notes
US 1 - 2.25 mm    US 1½ - 2.5 mm 
 
17.5 stitches and 23 rows = 2 inches 
 
1 skein = 465.0 yards (425.2 meters), 100 grams
9376 Over The Rainbow  dye lot #1604
 
Notes:
CO 72 sts onto 2.25mm/US1.
1x1 rib for 1.5'' 5 colors (T, G,Y,O,R), plus 2 rds of pink, then dec round in larger needle: (K16, k2tog)-2x, so 68 sts left.
Knit leg with larger needles until 7.5'' from CO edge.
I used Arne & Carlos' Short Row Heel Method. 34 sts heel. (Next time: work until 8 unworked center sts)
Knit insole 6'' (from heel edge), then decrease the toe sts until 12 sts left.

Since I've been slacking on "WIP" posts, let me take you through the entire journey:

These next photos were me taking this to two separate family reunion trips. The photo above was taken at a cabin surrounded by rolling farmland in Elizabeth, IL, near Galena, IL. The photo below was from a beach on Lake Michigan. 

Fun stuff! These reek of summer! The funny thing is that they are too warm to wear during the summer months, lol.

Stay tuned for me upcoming make-up posts. I've got three more FOs, and a bunch of WIPS.

No comments: