Friday, January 25, 2019

FO: Tweedy Flax Sweater

Dear Reader,
I know what you are thinking: another Flax sweater? Really? Do you knit anything else?
I mean, I don't blame you for thinking that. I'M thinking that too.
The fact is, I've knit 4 versions of the Flax sweater, 2 in fingering weight, and two in worsted/aran.
This, however, is the first time I've altered it more than striping Christmas colors.
You're curious now. Ok, Here's the list:
1. Sam's first Flax Light
2. Flax Light in the Pumpkin Spice colorway
3. Sam's Christmas Flax
4. This one on this page. You've arrived. (Ravelry project page.)
Needles: US 6 and US 8
Yarn: de-stashing 6 skeins of Caron Simply Soft Tweeds (from 2003! I was in college.)
Size: M
Started: February 2018    Completed: January 23, 2019
Modifications: see notes below
Clearly, I made a few modifications. If you are familiar with the Flax sweaters, you know that it's just a top-down raglan with a nice garter stitch panel along the sleeves and 1.5'' of 1x1 ribbing on all edges.

My modifications notes for the size M:
1.) Slit hem ribbing: on the round before the ribbing, add 8 sts evenly to the front of the sweater and 16 sts to the back of the sweater, and then put the back sts on a separate circular needle and work the front for at least 3'', BO, and work at least 4.5'' of ribbing for the back. Next time, I would add another inch or two of stockinette and then work 4.5'' for the front ribbing hem and 6-7'' for the back ribbing hem. 

2.) Sleeves: knit sleeve 15'.5'' total before doing a 4'' (1x1) ribbing. 

3.) Button Panel: pick up 34 sts along the diagonal increase armline on the yoke (I choose the right side), starting from under the ribbing on the yoke to the underarm. Knit in garter stitch for 1.3''. BO loosely. Sew ends to sweater. Attach 3 buttons. 


This sweater has been a few places: family trips, piano lessons, car rides, couches, and more.

I think it looks rather dashing.
Ok...stay warm, folks! It's in the negatives here in the northern suburb of Chicago and won't get any better this coming week. I had to buy my Civic a new car battery on Monday. How fun! Cosy sweater wearing it is this week! 

What's on the needles?  Noro "Hermione's Everyday Socks"

Future knitting plans: The Weekender, from Andrea Mowry

Upcoming FO post: French Press Slippers! Stay tuned.

No comments: