Saturday, January 17, 2015

FO: Mrs. Darcy Cardigan

 
And that's a wrap, fellas.
Size: Medium (with modifications)
Yarn: 3.4 skeins of Patons Classic Worsted Weight Wool (approx. 750 yds)
Needles: Size US9 circulars and dpns
Started: December 1st, 2014
Completed: January 14th, 2015
Modifications: sleeve increases (8 extra sts per sleeve), extra rows on the hem and collar and ribbing area, an extra button hole, waist ribbing changed to standard 1x1.  
This is a very cute cardigan.  It has two main problems though: the fit is off, even with all of my sleeve modifications, and the whole armpit seaming is completely unnecessary if it were worked top-down instead. Why isn't this worked top-down? 

The main fit issue lies in the yoke. The sleeves, even with 8 extra sts that I added isn't enough fabric area to do increases around. This forces the increases to be placed incorrectly, pulled into my arm instead of lying nicely at the diagonal crease of the arm. The back of the cardigan fits great,  but the front won't stay put on my shoulder. I catch myself pulling on it to stay on. It's still a cute cardi though. 
I used the buttons from my birthday yarn shop trip.
This is a nice Valentine's Day coverup over a dress or tanktop.
I can see myself redesigning the cardigan to address the fitting issues.  I might also make it a smidgen less deep-V shaped as well, and add some more ribbong length in the waist area.  

I hope you like it. Have a great weekend. Take care, 
Anna
Post a Comment
There was an error in this gadget